Created by Jessica Krauss on February 10, 2017
A Moroccan-spiced Stew with butternut squash, chickpeas, and lentils. You’ll love this (vegetarian), yet protein and fiber packed, meal! It’s the first snow day of the year! And I truly love nothing more than using this extra day off to experiment in the kitchen. Soup was a no-brainer to make on this winter day, especially...
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 45m
- Serves: 4
- Category: Main Meals
a Moroccan-inspired stew with butternut squash, chickpeas, and lentils. Vegan and gluten-free options.
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb butternut squash, cubed
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas
- 1 (15 oz) can lentils
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 3 c low-sodium chicken stock (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 5 sprigs Saffron (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook a few minutes or until the onion becomes softened.
- Stir in cinnamon, cumin, paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper; cook for a few more minutes until spices are fragrant.
- Add chickpeas, lentils, tomatoes, squash, stock, and saffron.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Stir in your optional toppings like lemon juice, red pepper flakes, or herbs.
- Serve alone or over cous cous or quinoa.
- Note: Saffron can be quite expensive, so feel free to leave it out if you do not have on hand. The stew will still be delicious.
- Note: Instead of butternut squash, you can also use sweet potatoes or acorn squash. I like to buy pre-cut butternut squash for ease, which is sold at most grocery stores.