Created by Jessica Krauss on April 4, 2017
Dessert for Breakfast? I’ll take it! You can have you cake and eat it too! These whole wheat carrot cake muffins that is. Breakfast, snack, or dessert – these little babes will totally hit the sweet spot. (Added bonus: they are a super delicious and healthy treat for your upcoming Easter and Spring festivities, that...
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 20m
- Total Time: 35m
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 c shredded carrots (2-3 large carrots)
- 1/2 c pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c all-natural, unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 c unsweetened, vanilla almond milk (or almond coconut milk blend)
- 1/2 c golden raisins (divided; optional)
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts (divided; optional)
- 1/2 c unsweetened, finely shredded coconut (divided; optional)
- Simple Mills Vanilla frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-muffin baking tray with muffin liners or spray tray with non-stick cooking spray (I like to use coconut oil cooking spray)
- In a medium-size bowl, combine all dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a large-size bowl, combine all wet ingredients: shredded carrots, maple syrup, vanilla extract, olive oil, egg, applesauce, and almond milk. Stir to combine.
- Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Add in optional mixtures of 1/3 c. chopped walnuts, 1/3 c. golden raisins, and 1/3 c. shredded coconut.
- Using an ice cream scoop for even distribution, pour muffin batter into muffin tray. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- While muffins are baking, heat a small pan over medium heat with 1 Tbs. ghee, butter, or coconut oil. Pour remaining chopped walnuts and shredded coconut (about 1/4 c. of each) into pan. Lightly toast, stirring often, to avoid burning. You will know the coconut is toasted once it turns a light golden brown (About 5-8 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- Once muffins are fully baked, let cool for 5-10 minutes before placing on a wire rack to finish completely cooling.
- If desired, top muffins with Simple Mills Vanilla frosting and sprinkle on toasted coconut and walnuts.