Created by Jessica Krauss on December 17, 2017
This is what I call real hot cocoa! No artificial sweeteners or sugars. Quite possibly, the best hot chocolate I have ever had. Bold statement, I know. But, it’s creamy, perfectly sweet, and super easy to make. I think the fact that it’s homemade enhances the flavor. My homemade hot cocoa is the perfect snow day...
- Prep Time: 2m
- Cook Time: 5m
- Total Time: 7m
- 2 c unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder (not an artificial mix)
- 2 tbsp. raw honey or pure maple syrup*
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract or cinnamon (optional)
- Warm the almond milk in a small saucepan, then whisk in the cocoa powder, honey or maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Whisk well to remove any lumps from the cocoa. Optional: If you like peppermint hot cocoa or spicy hot cocoa, add peppermint extract or cinnamon for a fun twist!
- Optional: place in your blender (make sure the cocoa isn't too hot - you don't want to get burned) and blend until frothy.
- * add more or less honey or maple syrup, depending on how sweet your family enjoys their hot chocolate. If adding more, be mindful of calories and sugar intake.