A Halloween treat with no tricks
How do you like your pumpkin spice?
A) in your coffee.
B) in your scented candle.
C) in your dessert.
D) all of the above. Pumpkin spice from the first day of Fall through Thanksgiving!
Pumpkin flavored foods and drinks may seem “basic,” but when made with real pumpkin, there are tons of health benefits. When we eat seasonally, we take in lots of new and different vitamins and minerals. During the Fall, eating seasonally means lots of squash (pumpkin included), apples, cranberries, sweet potatoes, spinach, bok choy, garlic, cauliflower, and so much more! The health benefits of pumpkin, besides being so tasty, include:
- High Fiber and Low Calorie 1 cup of freshly cooked pumpkin has only 50 calories and 3 grams of fiber and canned pumpkin has 7 grams of fiber.
- Vitamin A is known to improve vision and helps to form and maintain healthy skin, teeth, and bones.
- Sleep Better Pumpkin seeds contain tryptophan, that amino acids that contributes to post-Thanksgiving dinner sleepiness. Tryptophan contributes to the production of serotonin, the feel-good neurotransmitter that helps our bodies relax, unwind, and improve sleep.
- Fights Cancer Pumpkin, especially the seeds, are rich in beta-carotene and other antioxidants with cancer protective properties. Studies have shown that beta-carotene is especially beneficial for reducing the risk of prostate cancer.
- Heart Health High in fiber, potassium, and vitamin C all support heart health and contribute to lower blood pressure.
My motivation for creating these awesome pumpkin-apple muffins, besides using up the all the apples I picked from a local orchard, is because I have a huge sweet tooth. If I’m going to eat dessert or have a sweet snack, I want to not feel guilty about eating and know all the ingredients I put in my body.
These muffins contain only all-natural sugars and can be adapted with gluten-free flours. Great for breakfast, as a snack, or dessert – the whole family will be sure to love them! I enjoy mine warm with a smear of homemade apple butter.
What are your Fall favorite treats? Share below with the TLC community.