Happy Valentine’s Day!
Looking for a sweet valentine’s day activity for your kids? These cute strawberry hearts are super easy, only slightly messy, and all kinds of delicious. I used Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips, which are gluten, dairy, soy, and nut free. Ideal for children with food allergies, especially if they want to share their treats with friends in school.
Start by washing your strawberries and carefully slicing off the green tops. Then, slice strawberries in half. You may have to lightly trim one edge of a strawberry half so it neatly fits with the other half. Connect the two halves with a toothpick. The “hearts” won’t look perfect, but they come together nicely once dipped in chocolate.
To melt the chocolate, I create a dutch oven by brining a small amount of water in a pot to a boil. Place a heat-safe glass bowl over the top and add chocolate chips. Let them melt, stirring occasionally so the chocolate doesn’t burn. As soon as the chocolate is fully melted and smooth, I remove the bowl from the heat and it’s time to dip some strawberry hearts. Place the chocolate covered berries on a parchment lined wire rack. Before the chocolate hardens, your kids can decorate the chocolate covered hearts with sprinkles or a drizzle of icing. Personally, I love my chocolate covered strawberries as is. Because Enjoy Life chocolate is made from pure cocoa, it is very rich and indulgent. Lastly, place wire rack in the fridge for chocolate to harden and cool.
Most importantly, enjoy your chocolate covered strawberry hearts with loved ones and have a very happy and sweet valentine’s day.
- 1 container of organic strawberries
- 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- optional toppings: sprinkles or decorative icing
- Wash and slice strawberries in half, the long way.
- Connect strawberry halves with a toothpick. You may have to slightly trim the edges for a better connection.
- Melt chocolate chips by creating a dutch-oven.
- Dip strawberry hearts in chocolate and place on a parchment-lined wire rack to cool.
- Place wire rack in the fridge to let chocolate harden and set around strawberries.
- Enjoy with loved ones!